you can experience a joyous inclusive community,
you can nurture and share your spiritual journey,
you can make a difference in the world.
FIRST UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH—TROY
CONTRACT CHOIR DIRECTOR and/or ORGANIST
Reports to: Pastor/Head of Staff Effective: Starting Sunday, September 13
Relates to: Volunteer Music Coordinator, Office Administrator; Bookkeeper; Worship Committee; Chancel Choir; congregation
Status: Temporary Independent Contract:
Salary: commensurate with skills and experience (not to exceed $15,000)
First United Presbyterian Church, Troy, NY, seeks both a choir director and organist (preferably the same person) to coordinate the musical leadership of the FUPC Chancel Choir for 15 Sundays, plus Christmas Eve in worship. These Sundays include:
- September 13, 20, and 27
- Advent, plus Christmas Eve (November 29; December 6, 13, 20, and Evening of Dec 24)
- Easter – Pentecost (March 27; April 3, 10, 17, and 24; May 1, 8, and 15)
- Music selection for Prelude, Anthem, Offertory, and Postlude on these 15 Sundays, plus Christmas Eve. A music library selection of ‘100 Top Anthems’ is available for easy selection.
- Coordinate all music activities with the pastor to provide cohesive worship.
- Lead weekly rehearsal and provide accompaniment for the Chancel Choir in advance of these 15 Sundays and Christmas Eve.
- Provide Office Administrator with information for upcoming service music selections on these 15 Sundays.
- Assign soloists when appropriate for music selections.
- Practice and preparation of music and hymns in preparation of Sunday worship services.
- Accompany all music during worship (hymns, responses, doxology, etc.)
- Recommend any ongoing or emergency maintenance for the organ.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Ability to work with a volunteer choral group, pastors, staff, volunteer church musicians; ability to interact with members of the congregation as a spokesperson for church music.
- Ability to play the pipe organ and piano in a church setting.
- Knowledge of pipe organ repertoire, especially for use with a church service; knowledge of liturgical music; knowledge of sacred choral repertoire; knowledge of church liturgy and the place of music in it.
- A combination of training and experience to evidence above requirements.
Benefits in accordance with Temporary Independent Contractor employment as expressed in Personnel Policies.